I'm so lame. I kept thinking I needed to get a card in the mail, but it never happened. I am horrible about birthdays, and holidays. I think I need to just get cards for the year and address them and have them ready to go. I'm also horrible at buying gifts too. I never know what to get anyone. And you can add that I'm horrible at calling regularly too. It seems like there is never anything going on to talk about.
I was thinking about my Dad this week, since it is his birthday - TODAY. I love him. I miss him now that we don't live in the same state. But having grown up away from my grandparents, I know that you can still love people and have a tender place in your heart for them. My kids know who Granddaddy and Grandma Penny are, and they love them. Just as I loved my grandparents, dearly. He is a good Dad, and he's a good Granddaddy. He loved to tickle, still does. He loved to throw little ones into the air, and scare their parents half to death. He loved to call my friends and I "boys". He made breakfast on the weekends. He always gets up early. I didn't get that part of him. He could probably set a record for the fastest showers. I swear the water turns on and then off - done. I know that popcorn and green kool-aid are the best combination. He taught our Seminary class for a few years. At that time it was in our house. We didn't have to go far. He spoiled us. And when I was pregnant with Garrett and visiting them with Jackson and Bailey and no husband, he took them in the afternoons so I could rest. He took them to the park, on walks, and they had an adventure to the mountains. He visited after Jackson was born. He was there when Bailey was born. And he visited after Garrett was born.
There was never a question about if we were going to church on Sunday. I think that makes it easier as an adult/mother/wife to do it with my family. He has always been a good example. So when I called him tonight and asked what he was doing for his birthday, there was no surprise that he had been at the temple doing the work for his parents. How wonderful that now their work has been done, and he is sealed to them.
Happy Birthday DAD!!
I love you!




3 thoughts:
Oh, Jessica. What a wonderful birthday gift for your dad. This is so much more than a gift can ever do for the spirit. We both had tears in our eyes. Thank you so much for writing such endearing words for your dad. He will treasure them always.
That is sooooo sweet. I love it. Dads are the best and yours sounds amazing! Now I know where you get your qualities.
I agree - Dad's are the best!
Post a Comment