1/17/10

Scripture Power

This year as a family we are reading the Book of Mormon together. We've attempted this before, but without a plan really. This year we have a plan. I found a 365 BOM reading chart on Sugardoodle. When you break it down, it doesn't seem like such a big goal. We have set aside a time every day. So far we are doing great. We all take turns reading and I have noticed a difference in how the kids act when we have not done it ad when we do.

Tonight, as we sat down at the table, Garrett wanted a turn to read. It was so cute and so sweet. I said the words and he repeated it. I stopped after a few verses but he said he wanted to do more, so we did a few more verses.
I look forward to the time when we gather together as a family every night. I've gained an understanding that maybe it's not so much how long or how much we read but that we take a few minutes everyday to ponder the scriptures and bring the spirit into our home. We have been blessed by the spirit that is here, and so far we haven't had any screaming/kicking/fighting to not read.
I think it's interesting that the theme for our Sacrament meetings this month has been about the Book of Mormon.

5 thoughts:

joana said...

i totally wish that i could get organized enough to do family scripture study. you're my hero. and when are you going to come visit me and check out the new place? i miss all my LV2 friends:)

The Martone Memories said...

I love our BOM for Families. It breaks it into small sections to read. We read one each night and it even has discussion questions and more footnotes. And a few pictures. I highly recommend it. I love it. Although, we haven't quite gotten to the "sitting still" with Sam, but we will.
Keep it up!

Erickson Fam said...

That's such a great goal! You're right, there is something amazing about the spirit in our homes when we invite it through scripture study. Good for you guys!!

julie said...

We are having fun here at the skating rink,
your kids are funny!!! the girls (especially Lynzie) are all over Jackson, he's acting like he hates it, but secretly I think he loves it!!

Meridith said...

That's so neat to hear about your family's experience with scripture study. It's so true how blessed we are and our families as we read and learn from the scriptures together.

MUSIC