I didn't want to post anything until I knew for sure. Jackson was tested for Pertussis (whooping cough) and it came back positive. Luck us! Since we have been immunized it's not bad. It all started a few weeks ago. Russ has been complaining about just not feeling good, and some respiratory issues, and a cough. He didn't feel sick enough to say he was sick, but just didn't feel good. Then Jackson started with a cough. And Bailey too, only hers wasn't bad at all. I started wondering about the cough,Delsym didn't really help and neither did Claritin. I thought it was odd. Garrett and I have been fine. Then on Tuesday, the kids came home with a RED letter saying someone at school had been diagnosed with Pertussis. Being the paranoid mother that I am, I called the doctor. I'd rather error on the cautious side. I took the kids to the doctor on Wednesday morning, and he sent me downtown Dallas to Childrens Medical Center. Apparently they have to do the test. So with the three kids I headed down there. I hate how hospitals do the whole registration for an out-patient lab. Then we finally got to go to the lab, and wait there. They called someone from respiratory to come do the lab. He made Jackson lay down and he put a small bristol looking thing pretty far up his nose. Jackson was so nervous, and then I think it scared him, and he got a little upset. And then we headed back home, or at least we tried. You have to park in a parking garage and the machine took my $10 and didn't give me any change. I had to go to another exit with a person. They will mail me my $7 next week. And it just keeps getting better. Then around 3PM the Doctor's office called and said they did the test wrong and we had to do it again, and we had to be there by 4PM. I still had Cub Scout stuff to get done for that evening, so we planned for the next day. Thursday, Jackson had TAKS testing (mandatory by the state) and I sent him to school. The doctor said it was fine. Then after school he and I headed back to Dallas. Once again, wait to register, and wait at the lab. The lab ladies were very nice and very apologetic that we had to come back again (even though they were not the ones who did the test wrong). They gave Jackson a Webkinz - they knew just how to brighten his day. So this time it was another lady from respiratory. The tool to swab his nose was different looking and the tube she put it in was different too. And there were no tears. She did great and was very nice. She said it would be 24-48 hours before we knew. So this afternoon I called the doctor to check if the results were in. They called back and said he was positive. And the fun continues, the whole family has to be on antibiotic$ :) But the doctor can only call in meds for the kids. So, since I think Russ has it, I called his doctor and he called it in for him. I have to wait until tomorrow since unless it's an emergency my doctor is unavailable. I think it's time for a new doctor. So I hope we have not spread this to anyone we know. We plan to just stay home this weekend until everyone has been on their meds for 24 hours. And I'm expecting a call from the Health Deptartment, everyone has to be informed.




6 thoughts:
Holy Cow how can I help! Give me anything do to that requires no contact with you are anyone in your family and I will do it! ha ha Hope you weekend gets better and your family too.
Oh my gosh, Jessica. You've been through the wringer lately. I'm so sorry to hear all this. I wish we lived closer so I could help out. Sure love you guys.
No fun. Hopefully you guys will be better soon!
Wow - that's something you just don't want to hear! Hope everyone is on the mend soon and that YOU of all people in your family stay feeling well :)
You poor thing. What a terrible ordeal. Let me know if you need anything. Poor Jackson, tubes up anyones nose just stinks.
Oh Jessica, I am so so sorry. That must be miserable for everyone. Tell Jackson we hope he feels better and Russ too. We will keep you guys in our prayers!
Post a Comment